Privacy Practices – Hotel Guests
Queens Marque South Limited
1701 Hollis Street, Suite 1400
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3M8
If you feel that your concerns have not been adequately addressed, you may contact the officer of the Privacy Commissioner at 1-800-282-1376 or firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What personal information do we collect from Guests? How do we use it?
Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual and includes your name, home address, telephone number and email address. It does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. It also does not apply to information that is publicly available. At various times throughout guest interactions with us they may be asked to voluntarily provide us with their Personal Information.
What information do we collect?
Types of personal information that we may collect include:
- Guest name and contact information, including your physical address, email address and telephone number
- Information related to guest reservations
- Participation in our membership and loyalty programs
- Personal characteristics including date of birth, gender, nationality, passport date and place of issue
- Preferred communication method
- Business name, title and address
- Method of payment, including credit card details and your three or four digit CVV code
- Guest reviews and opinions of our brand and property
- Groups with which the guest is associated for stays at our hotel.
- Other information that guests may choose to provide to us
How do we use this information?
We use guest personal information to provide the services the guest requested from us. These services may include but are not limited to processing your reservations and membership in rewards programs. In addition we will use this information to:
- Improve the services we provide to guests
- Provide you with the expected level of hospitality
- Ensure our site, products and services are of interest to guests
- To provide or offer guests newsletters, promotions or special features
- To conduct surveys, sweepstakes, prize draws and other contests.
2. Right to access Personal Information
All guests have the right to access all Personal Information that we have collected from them and that we retain on file, and they may choose to update, modify or delete this information at any time by contacting our privacy manager. There is no fee for accessing your information. However, a guest’s choice to delete information may impact our ability to continue to provide services to them.
We retain guest personal information only as long as is required for the reason it was collected, or such longer period if proscribed by law.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not sell, trade, rent, share or give away any guest Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes. Nor do we disclose guest Personal Information to any third parties without their express consent, unless limited disclosure of your Personal Information is necessary to fulfill a services that you have requested from us (e.g. Marriott Rewards). For example, we will disclose guest Personal Information to the financial institution that processes their credit card information or payment transactions or to Marriott Rewards for points allocation and redemption.
As part of a global brand, we may share guest personal information with other members of the Marriott International portfolio of brands.
We will disclose your Personal Information in the following manner and for the following purposes:
- We will disclose Personal Information in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
- In certain limited and discrete circumstances, we may be required to disclose your personal information without your consent, for example, if the disclosure is required to comply with an order made by a court of body with jurisdiction to compel the production of this information or for other purposes as permitted under applicable privacy legislation.
4. Our Security Measures
For guest protection, we encourage guests not to include any sensitive personal information in any e-mails you may send to us. Please do not send credit card details or any other sensitive personal information to us by e-mail.
5. Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation Requirements
- Electronic notifications – including to facilitate or confirm the transaction, or to provide you information about your upcoming stay or use of our facilities and services.
- Commercial electronic messages – you may receive commercial electronic messages if you have provided your consent. These would include newsletters, specials, or other communications pertaining to the services we offer.
Under the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation, we are required to gain your consent prior to communicating with you via commercial electronic messages. You can check whether you have provided express consent to the hotel by updating your preferences on any Muir commercial electronic message you may receive. We will infer your implied consent to receiving these communications where we have had an ongoing business relationship with you within the last two years, where you have made an inquiry with us in the last six months, or where you have provided your e-mail address to Muir.
We will not share any information gathered through our business with any third-parties except as otherwise discussed in this Policy.
You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. You may withdraw your consent by ‘opting-out’ of commercial electronic messages, disabling cookies, or communicating directly with our Privacy Officer. However, withdrawing consent may limit our ability to provide you the best service possible.